User identities are at the core of JumpCloud®. As a core directory, JumpCloud provides centralized, authoritative versions of each employee's identities so they can use a single set of credentials across all their resources, including Systems, LDAP, RADIUS and more. Users can be created manually in the JumpCloud Administrator Portal, imported or synchronized via another directory, or via an automated process leveraging the JumpCloud API. This article describes how to create them manually in the Administrator Portal.
This KB covers:
1 - Add a User
To add a new user account:
- Log in to the JumpCloud Admin Portal: https://console.jumpcloud.com/login.
- Go to Users, then click ( + ).
- Specify the following for the new user:
- First Name - The user's first name.
- Middle Name - The user's middle name.
- Last Name - The user's last name.
- Username (required) - The JumpCloud account username. Consider the naming convention for users before you build your directory. Can't be changed after a user is connected to resources. Learn about disconnecting users.
- Display Name - Enter the user's preferred full name. This name is stored by JumpCloud but is not used in user communications.
- User Creation Date - This field is automatically populated after the new user is saved.
- Company Email (required) - The user's company email address. For G SuiteTM and Office 365TM, the JumpCloud account email must match the external directory.
- Description - Enter an optional description for the user. This description can be used to capture details that are not documented in other user attributes. This attribute propagates to LDAP for any syncing users.
- Specify Initial Password - Select this option to specify an initial password for the new user. When the initial password is specified, the user doesn't receive an email to complete System User activation and is activated immediately.
- Require Multifactor Authentication on User Portal - When this option is selected, the user is prompted for a TOTP token as a second factor to log in to the User Portal. MFA setup status is also displayed. For more information, see How to Enable Multifactor Authentication.
- Enable as Admin/Sudo on all system associations - When this option is selected, the user is given administrator/sudo privileges on all systems to which they are bound. When this option is cleared, administrator/sudo privileges can be managed for the user on a per system basis from the Systems tab.
- Enable as LDAP Bind DN - When enabled, this user acts to bind and search to JumpCloud LDAP directory; one or more users can enable this option.
Enter values for any of the Employment Information user attributes your organization is required to store for employees.
Personal Employee Information
Enter values for any of the Personal Employment Information user attributes your organization is required to store for employees.
If your organization requires that you store information for employees that isn't provided in one of our standard user attributes, you can create custom attributes to capture this information.
To add a new attribute, click add new custom attribute.
Be aware that attribute field names must be unique.
To see how custom attributes can be used with SAML SSO Applications, see Single Sign On (SSO) with SAML 2.0 Connector.
2 - Activate a User
To activate a user, you can either set an initial, temporary password for the user, or email the user to set their own.
- If you set an initial password, the new user is immediately active.
- If you don't set an initial password, JumpCloud sends an email to the user with a link that lets them set their password.
Other information may be tied to systemuser record using the API. See our API Documentation for more details.
3 - Connect a User
After your user is active, you can connect them to any of the resources connected to JumpCloud - from their systems, to applications, to networks, and more.
4 - View User Details
After you add a user to JumpCloud, you can view and interact with them in the Users list.
- Search for users.
- Filter the Users list.
- View details for a user.
Users have a status indicator that tells you things about their state. Learn about the user status indicator.
You can perform actions for one or more users from the more actions menu. See Admin Portal More Actions Menu.
5 - More Information